Hair loss can be devastating.
With so many companies claiming to have the found the chemical combination to cure hair loss once and for all, it can be overwhelming to figure out what to do.
These products can require years of treatment and cost thousands of dollars.
Instead of turning to expensive chemicals, many hair loss sufferers have found results with coconut oil.
Another solution without using chemicals is the use of laser combs for hair growth.
TOP RATED COCONUT OIL PRODUCTS
Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is extracted from the meat of the coconut and is used in countless varieties of food and other products.
While it's commonly found in the production of candies and makeup, the oil has skyrocketed into fame for its health benefits and is now being used for things like:
- cooking and baking
- facial scrub
- homemade deodorant
- tanning oil
- metabolic booster
Types of Coconut Oil
There are different types of coconut oil. Most of these differences are a result of the extraction process and what happens after extraction.
Extraction happens in one of three ways:
- Heat - When heat is applied to the coconut meat, it will release oils over time.
- Chemicals - In this process, the coconut is ground up and washed with a solution of chemicals which aids in the release of the oils. Heat is usually applied in this process as well to help separate the oils from the chemicals used to release them.
- Pressing - A machine is used to press the oil out of the meat of the coconut. This is also known as cold press and is considered by many to provide the purest oil
Once the oil is extracted there are a few options in processing:
- Unrefined Coconut Oil is simply filtered to remove any large pieces of material and is then left virtually untouched. This results in virgin or extra virgin oil.
- Refined Coconut Oil is the exposure of the oil to heat or chemicals to remove any impurities in the oil.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil is a method where the oil is first put through a process of hydrolysis and then steam distillation which separates the long chain triglycerides from the medium chain triglycerides.
This results in a totally saturated oil with increased concentrations of the acids that provide the antioxidant and disinfecting properties coconut oil has become famous for.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
Coconut oil is proving to be a useful tool in the fight to stop hair loss and even regenerate growth.
Coconut oil is able to penetrate the scalp, getting deep into the hair shaft.
There, it is able to protect against impurities that can cause hair loss.
The concentrated antioxidants and nutrients are able to boost hair growth and regrowth from within the hair follicle.
According to a study published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, coconut oil, out of three different types of oil tested, was the only oil to actually reduce protein loss from both damaged and undamaged hair.
This was the finding when the coconut oil was used both as a pre-wash and post wash product.
The belief is that because of the molecular structure of coconut oil, it is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft.
This creates the best opportunity for the lauric acid found in the oil to provide its most potent benefits directly to the hair proteins.
Other Coconut Oil Uses
There are many other uses of coconut oil such as:
How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair?
- Daily Hair Care - To add coconut oil to your hair care routine, apply the oil to your hair, massaging it into the scalp and making sure to get it all the way to the tips. Let it sit on your hair for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Wash the oil from your hair using a chemical free shampoo to ensure all excess oil is removed.
- Conditioner - Placing the oil in your hand to soften and then apply to the hair from scalp to tip. A small amount usually does the trick, too much and your hair can appear greasy. Many people prefer to do this while their hair is still wet from washing as it is easier to evenly distribute the oil over wet hair versus dry.
- Hair Growth - To encourage hair growth and regeneration, apply the oil frequently. The best reported results show users applying the oil and letting it sit on the scalp overnight before washing out in the morning with a chemical free shampoo. There are studies that show coconut oil to be as effective when left on the scalp and hair for a few hours before washing as opposed to overnight. It most likely comes down to personal preference.
- Damaged Hair - Coconut oil is known for its high concentrations of fatty acids and proteins that actually repair damaged hair. Use the oil as a one hour treatment once to twice a week, applying it from the root to the tip of the hair. Shampoo out the excess oil using a chemical free shampoo to avoid continued stripping of your hair proteins, furthering the damage.
- Dandruff Treatment - Massaging coconut oil into the scalp and letting it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, or even overnight, before rinsing can aid in dandruff reduction. Use a mild dandruff shampoo to wash out the excess oil. Doing this process once a week will show a remarkable reduction in dandruff.
What To Look For
- Unrefined - Refined oil is chemically bleached to remove coloring and is de-odorized. Chemicals and solvents are often added as preservatives. Unrefined oil comes as fresh and retains original properties.
- Cold Pressed - No heat was included in the process. Therefore, most properties are still intact.
- Virgin - Least acidic, and have the best organoleptic properties (appearance, smell, taste, etc). Extra Virgin are generally more expensive but the oils are still relatively cheaper.
Where To Buy Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil can be found in many different locations from drug stores to the local market.
Remember to read the labels as not all oils are created equal. A lot of stores will mark the oil up in price as well due to the increasing popularity.
Try trusted online markets such as Amazon. This will ensure that you are getting exactly what you need for the best price.
For years coconut oil has been given a bad name because it’s a saturated fat which was considered unhealthy.
Thanks to years of research, science now understands the different types of fats and how they can benefit the body.
Topical applications are perhaps the most astonishing insight gained from recent research.
Learning of the antioxidant and disinfectant properties of coconut oil has given hope to millions who suffer from skin and hair conditions with remarkable results.
The Best Coconut Oil For Hair
With so many options available to choose, we've selected one who triumphs above the rest.
Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil has been the top selling coconut oil for over 10 years, and for good reason.
Nutiva uses the cold press method to extract the oil of the highest quality coconuts. This organic virgin coconut oil can be used for cooking, skin care, oral care, and hair care.
Because a little goes a long way, Nutiva offers a variety of package options so you get exactly what you need.
The price is affordable as well.
With 1% of the proceeds going toward sustainable agriculture, Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is a great product to add to your daily care routines.